Saturday, January 8, 2011

Simple Green Bean & Tomato Salad

I am one of those people who have to have a salad or fresh vegetable with nearly every meal. Aside from the fact that my mother raised me to prepare 'balanced' meals, I just really like fresh vegetables and salads. Tossed salads are quick and easy but I like a variety. This green bean and tomato salad from the July 2010 issue of Cooking Light is one of my favorites because it is so quick and versatile. It also has it's own light dressing so you don't have to worry about how much dressing to use to stay within your calorie allocation!

Green Bean and Tomato Salad

1 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
2 lb. beef steak tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch wedges (I use Roma tomatoes and I never remove the seeds!)
5 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 anchovy fillet, minced (I always omit this ingredient!)
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add green beans; cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse well with cold water. Drain thoroughly, and place in a large bowl. Add tomatoes.
Combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients (through anchovy, if using) in a medium bowl; gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Drizzle over bean mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Yield: 8 servings (serving size about 1 cup)

My family loves this salad and I've even left out the beans and it is still yummy, yummy, yummy!
Break a Leg and give it a try for dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a favorite recipe to share?