Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Best Banana Bread

I learned at a very early age how to cook and bake. I was fortunate to have a mother who was intent on instilling in her daughters (my sister and I) the essentials of being a homemaker. My sister soaked it up, I on the other hand fought it tooth and nail from every fiber of my 'tom-boy' being! The only skills I continue to hone from those early childhood lessons is the cooking and baking. The sewing, knitting, quilting, never took root in me and I can't say as I've had any regrets!

One of my all-time favorite recipes is my mother's Banana Bread recipe. It's an extremely easy, no-fail recipe that everyone should have in their recipe index. I hope you enjoy this traditional family favorite as much as I do. The italicized ingredients in blue text will offer a healthier version of this recipe for those watching their waistline!

Best Banana Bread

1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar (3/4 cup sugar)
1/2 cup softened butter (1/4 cup softened butter + 1/4 cup natural applesauce)
2 eggs
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a loaf pan and set it aside.

Mix the flour, soda, and baking powder in a large bowl with a whisk. In a medium bowl, use a fork to mix the sugar and butter together until it resembles course crumbs. In another bowl, mash the bananas (if you are using the healthier version, add the applesauce to the bananas at this point). Add the sugar mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Then add the banana mixture (and nuts) and stir until you have it all combined.
Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the bread. It is done if the toothpick comes out almost clean and the bread comes away from the sides of the pan. If you are using the healthier version of the recipe, test it after 45 minutes.

Let it cool on a wire rack for about 20-30 minutes, run a knife along the edges of the pan and gently turn it upside down on the rack to release it from the pan. Let it cool almost completely, slice, and spread on a dab of butter and enjoy!

Tip #1:
If you have bananas that are turning brown, but you aren't ready to make your bread yet, put them in the freezer in their skins. When you are ready to use them, let them thaw for 20-30 minutes, you want them to still be a little firm and not mushy. If they are too cold they will harden your butter and your batter won't have the right consistence. If they are too thawed they are hard to get out of their skins.

Tip #2:
Mash your bananas with a magic bullet. This will make your batter smooth and it's easier than mashing them with a fork.

Until next time, go Break an Egg!

Gourmet Cakesbanner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a favorite recipe to share?